View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 05:43 PM   #32
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
I agree with the statement never trust a Salesman whether it's at a car or RV dealership. Most of them don't even know their product.
The car salesman is going to tell you sure that 2500 pickup will pull anything.
RV salesman could care less he'll sell you whatever trailer you want and hook it up to whatever truck you have and let you drive off with it.

^^^^This is going to be what happens if you ask "the salesman"....every time. I've bought lots of new trucks for various purposes - many for towing. I (me) have to know what I'm towing, the weights to be dropped on a new truck and then TELL the sales people the specs for that truck and to find it. The sales person nor the sales manager has the slightest clue about weights, towing, payload or anything else. It's just a BIG truck compared to what they are used to.

Case in point; bought the truck in my signature at the end of the yea. I did not order a 2020 because at that time they had no idea when they would start building it and I wouldn't get the employee+ pricing on it (although they said I initially would). When I called I told them that I would only speak to the most knowledgeable sales person they had...I wanted nothing to do with the "sharks" that sit outside and run you down. When I arrived I was greeted by their senior sales person and sales manager. I told them what I anticipated buying in a 5th wheel; gvw, length, pin weight. I knew what specs I wanted on the truck but just wanted to "test the water". Yes sir, no problem, we've got just what you need. Shook hands and took off to the back of the lot....he pointed it out by the fence "there it is. Isn't that granite charcoal good looking"? As I walked up to it I saw the side.....hmmmm, isn't that a 2500? Yes. I'm thinking I need a 1 ton. Oh no, this one will do the job. It's a beast. You won't have a problem with it". Really? What's the payload? It can tow 15k. What's the payload says I? Silence....furrowed eyebrows..."what's the payload says he"? I opened the driver door and showed him the sticker and pointed it out...."that's the payload" (about 3100 as I recall). I need more like 4000. "Oh". "Where are the 1 tons"?

Long post but this is the guidance you will get from a salesman, even their best salesman, even if you give them the towing criteria for the truck selection. An RV owner absolutely must know what is required in a truck and tell them right down to the smallest detail. They do not know or care....they just want to move a unit. Believing a truck salesman knows anything about weights or towing is a mistake because they don't....but they sure as heck will wing it if you let them.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote