View Single Post
Old 08-28-2020, 08:41 AM   #24
uhftx
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2446
Quote:
Originally Posted by 432bartman View Post
Everybody will tell you something different. Just go to your Dodge dealership, tell him what you're going to tow, how much it weighs, and let them inform you.
This is probably the worst advice you can receive. A sales man or woman has zero clue. They are on the dealer lot to sell something and make their drawer positive every month to prove their worth.
Yes they will upsell and tell to to buy the biggest and baddest truck on the lot. If they do not have it on the lot they will not tell you to go elsewhere. So I have a triple axle 30K dry weight and my black beauty on this lot will tow it.

I downgraded 2 levels. I had a 1 ton dually for a daily driver pre DEF fluid. My commute is 22Miles each way with no time for regeneration for the cat. So I went even further and downgraded to a gas motor.
MY diesel was rated at 250hp and about the same for torque. The newer gassers were rated higher.
I went from a ford limited edition to a chevy with rubber floor mats bare bones in today's standards.
The differences in towing were not noticeable by the seat of the pants.
You get the same chucking and push / pull when leaving an intersection or approaching.
My 3255 is older. My weights are within limits 12,5?? max and a High 9K on the low side. The new truck has a 14K tow rating.

The only difference with chevy between a 3/4HD and 1ton is the rear springs. One less leaf. I did add air bags though. Tired of hitting a pot hole and feeling the leafs bottoming out.

You have to make a decision based upon your camper and being legal going down the road.

Be safe and many happy miles ahead.
Chris