View Single Post
Old 09-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #1
woodtic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12753
Pre Departure checks and maintanance

We are taking the Monty to Orange Springs, FL. (about 1800 miles) next week. We're going to be dropping it off in my mothers yard until we get back down there in mid February. Better than pulling it through salt covered icy roads in Feb.

So, We have had it for about 6 weeks now (2011 new off the lot) and have put about 1200 miles on it. Spent close to 20 days in it so far. Still has Marathons on it, and we're hoping to keep the cash on hand until after we make it to our destination before buying new tires.

I have to do some things to it before we head out. I have a few questions on what I need to check and how to check things so here we go.

I want to check the axle alignment for any serious problem. I have noticed that when I instal the roto chocks, one side is wider between the tires than the other. I am assuming this is due to one side of the trailer being heavier than the other. The drivers side wheels are closer together (more weight) than the curb side. If this is normal, how do I check the alignment without blocking up the trailer high enough to get the tires off the ground? I haven't measured the tread depth accros the tires yet but I'm planning to. So what's an easy method of checking for good/fair alignment?

When checking/torquing the suspention, are the wet bolts and axle bolts the same torque? What else should I look at while I have my head in that area?

Do I need to check anything with the (Mor/ryde) pinbox?

I also plan on checking the hitch bolts for tightness. Anything else I should be checking that anyone can think of?
thanks
John
woodtic is offline   Reply With Quote