Thread: RV Water Pump
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2005, 04:27 PM   #6
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by pchaas

Orv, I have another problem you may know something about. This year when I tried to winterize the Monty, I poured the antifreeze into the holding tank and turned on the pump to run it thru the waterlines and nothing. I poured antifreeze directly into the pump and it pumped it into all the lines, thus winterizing the lines. Now I have four gallons of the RV Antifreeze in the holding tank. Does this mean I need a new pump or is there a problem with my holding tank?
I'm a little confused. When you talk about pouring antifreeze into your holding tank are you talking about your fresh water tank or the holding tank. If you're pouring it into the holding tank it's not doing you any good.

To winterize properly, it's best to use a winterizing kit. My Montana came with the kit already. What it consists of is tubing and fittings that allow you to tap into the input side of the pump and put one end of the tubing into a gallon bottle of RV antifreeze and then pump it through the lines, starting with the lines furthest away from the pump. Be sure to set the valves on the hot water heater so that you bypass it with the antifreeze. I assume you know to drain the hot water heater completely.

I don't think there is anything wrong with your pump. If it pumped water from your fresh water tank, it'll pump the antifreeze. I don't recommend putting the antifreeze into the fresh water tank because it takes 4 to 6 gallons that way. Just drain the fresh water tank completely by opening the line that comes out the bottom of the tank (mine is below the belly of the rig, right below where the fresh water tank is located).

Not being where you are so I could show you, the best I can do is words, which sometimes can be very confusing. You can check with any RV accessory store or your RV dealer for a winterizing kit. There not very expensive.

Hope this helps a little bit.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote