View Single Post
Old 07-15-2021, 02:59 PM   #9
Chalkie
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28678
Since my granddaughter's boy friend is studying to become a Vet Tech I had to take a look at what is being proposed.

According to the American Veterinary Medical Association - "All veterinary technicians work under the supervision of a licensed veterinarian. While a veterinary technician can assist in performing a wide variety of tasks, they cannot diagnose, prescribe, perform surgery, or engage in any activity prohibited by a state's veterinary practice act."

I think I would be very cautious is trying to establish myself as an independent vet tech as it might run afoul of the law and more over what of insurance and bonding issues? I know the vet we take our dog to is licensed as well as insured (liability, malpractice) and bonded as is required by the state, county, and city. Medical insurance for a vet is expensive just as it is for a people doctor. Has this cost been factored in? and for that matter could said insurance even be found for an independent vet tech?

Edit: Insurance could in fact be the important concern. In our litigious society it doesn't seem to take a lot for people to sue at the drop of a hat.

Not trying to be a wet blanket, just throwing some thoughts out there in the for what it's worth column.
Chalkie is offline   Reply With Quote