View Single Post
Old 05-09-2021, 07:16 AM   #35
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Trucks are a personal choice, I only buy GM. You will find there are different strokes for different folks. I try very hard not to be one who is always saying you need more truck. I'm also an retired Truck driver, I have driven, Freightliners, Kenworths. I do know what is needed for my use, weight is a key issue. However there is over kill on Trucks. I have owned 6 or 7 Chevy HD 1 ton trucks with dual rear wheels, great trucks. Trucks of today have plenty of power to pull most 5th wheels. Stopping the load is the key. Those who are trained in driving Trucks, have very few issues, in towing heavy loads. With today's options of disk brakes on many 5th wheels, the stopping issues is much better.

At one time we owned a Cambridge, which was one of the heaviest 5th wheels we have owned, Mobile Suites (custom built) was the heaviest we have owned. I will say the Cambridge was one of the best we every purchased, Cambridge was in the top two. Mobile Suites was awesome.

Trucks are a personal issue, very simple, today we know close to what the 5th wheels weight is. We also know what the 5th wheels dry weight is. Knowing what is in all those storage area's, is also a key. We never travel with full holding tanks, all are empty, except a few gallons of water to flush the commodes. I never liked putting out a slide or two just to use the commodes. If one does the research you will find the 3/4 tons vs the 1 ton trucks are very close as for as pin weight.

I try very hard not to tell you which is best, really a personal choice. Good luck.

"Happy Trails".
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote