View Single Post
Old 07-27-2018, 01:52 PM   #3
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAM View Post
We are looking to buy Montana 331rl and need a tow vechile. Thinking of a 1 ton truck diesel. Will a 6 1/2ft bed be ok or need 8 ft. SRW or need DRW. We’re new at this, so any help greatly appreciated. We found a 2013 Ford F-350 6.7 crew cab 6.5 foot bed SRW we like. Thoughts.
Every time someone asks this sort of question it starts a heated debate!!

There are a lot of questions only you can answer. Such as do you think you will upgrade to an even larger camper (I would estimate at least 75% of owners do).

What will be the primary purpose of the vehicle (will it be mostly for towing or a daily driver)?

How willing are you to put up with the minor inconvenience of a wider truck (some will surely argue major inconvenience)?

From a safety standpoint how comfortable are you with the truck (do you want a truck that is just barely enough to do the job or well in excess)?

And then there are cost factors such as getting a good deal. I would caution you that sometimes good deal means no one else wants the truck either because it is not capable or is an unpopular style. Either of which may affect resale

As for your two questions:
Long vs shortbed— Shortbed has advantage of parking and such while not towing but in most on here will advise buying a more expensive slider style hitch. Longbed has the advantage of more cargo room both while towing (no slider hitch needed) great if you want to haul lumber for home projects or say a generator for your RV. Longbed is slightly more difficult to park and may be issue in a garage

Dually vs SRW
Ok this is where the debate really gets ugly. The problem is there are some things that are a bit difficult to verify. A disclaimer here, I strongly advocate for dually IF someone asks for my opinion like you did. Hopefully and as unbiased as I can I will layout the pros and cons on either side

Dually is more stable and offers better braking power while TOWING (there will be those that argue that’s not true so judge for yourself). They also are generally rated for higher row capacity. Con is fairly obvious in that they are wider and therefore not urban friendly

SRW is more urban friendly. SRW more than likely rated for less weight

Trust me there will be a big heated debate on this for your benefit. That is a good thing. You asked some of the most important questions we can answer here!!

What do I have? 1 ton long bed dually. But I own a 42’ 5th wheel, a country estate, tractor and routinely haul lumber and such for projects. That and we own multiple vehicles so the tow truck is not our daily driver.

https://www.facebook.com/10000143735...5102892214270/
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote