View Single Post
Old 09-24-2020, 07:06 AM   #31
Tom N OH
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17678
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasrules View Post
I'm not sure what thats going to gain me. First, it would have to be an electrician with solar knowledge. plus we live in a fairly remote area. I think its easier for me to just gain the knowledge to do it myself. Plus cheaper.
It’s going to gain you a few more years on your life. Electricity is nothing to mess with if you don’t know 100% what you’re doing. By the number of questions that you’re asking & the content of those questions, no offense, but you’re not ready for this type of project on your own. A 2000 watt inverter isn’t nearly enough to run an RV air conditioner unit by itself, let alone with any other loads. Like has been said before, you need to figure out /how much/ energy you will be using, then figure out how much generation capacity you need, either solar or fossil fueled generator. Keep DC wire runs short & leave the longer runs for A/C wiring. A/C & higher voltages allow for less voltage drop & smaller wire gauges to be used, thereby keeping costs down. I think you’re going to find out that by the time you build what you really need to have to live comfortably for any amount of time, that $8k isn’t going to look so bad, especially when you consider the time that you will spend building it, figuring out what you did wrong, changing this or that & the grey hairs you will acquire during the process. With the utility company’s connection, you can just plug in, do whatever you need to do & enjoy your time. No worries about gas for the generator on a cloudy day, maintaining batteries, cleaning solar panels, etc, etc. Time is money & we’re only given so much time on this planet. Spend the time with your family. That is something that money cannot buy.
Tom N OH is offline   Reply With Quote