Thread: Water Heater
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2014, 08:14 AM   #18
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Brett & Cheri: While it is too late now, in the future you should start a new post about your problem rather than tagging onto someone else's issue.

On a 2005 Montana, there are two water heating systems. One is Propane powered and it turned on/off by a rocker switch inside the RV near all the other switches (water pump, lights, slides in/out, etc.). The second method is using 120V electricity which is turned on/off by a rocker switch outside on the left side of the RV behind the water heater door.

It sounds like you always use electric power. That rocker switch is a cheap plastic affair that doesn't hold up well to repeated usage. When it fails it usually (but not always) feels funky (not a crisp click) when activated. It is easy to check with a voltmeter. Just pop it out of the panel. Remember one side is always hot when you are connected to shore power.

Less likely is the thermostat/high limit switch behind the rubber "Reset" buttons outside in the water heater panel. Removing the rubber cover will expose the thermostats. There are two, one, for electric, on the left and one, for the gas operation, on the right. If the electric has failed there will be obvious damage visable (burnt wire of contact).

The other possibility, although remote for you, is the heating element. If the heater was on electric (even if only for a few seconds) and the water heater tank was empty or drained, the element is toast. Since you fulltime, I doubt you drained the tank and have this problem.

I would start with the cheap switch. In the meantime, you can run the water heater on propane by activating the switch insdie the RV on the control panel. Since you apparently haven't used this system before, I hope it works. If it doesn't you have another opportunity to test your diagnoses/troubleshooting skills.

Call me if you want more information. I think you might have my number but just in case I will PM it to you.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote