Thread: EGT
View Single Post
Old 08-09-2005, 09:00 AM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Gitrdun, I have three gauges on the pillar next to the windshield. I have gauges for water temp, transmission temp, and EGT (pyrometer). The dash already has the water temp and transmission temp and also a turbo boost gauge. The turbo boost gauge actually works as a gauge so I saw no need to add that one on the pillar.

You can buy the gauges from many truck accessories stores and many also will do the installation. It was at least an 8-hour job on mine. You'll have to tell them where you want the probes installed or they'll go with what they see as the easiest or safest locations. For the EGT I had it installed in the exhaust manifold but insisted they remove the manifold, then drill and install the probe after thorough cleaning off all drill residue. For the transmission temp I had the probe installed in the line going from transmission to cooler, about 6 inches from the transmission. The first try the put it in the return line and the tranny temp never hit the 100 degree low mark on the gauge. For the water temp gauge they installed the probe at the base of the thermostat housing. I think this may be a bad location as this gauge shows water temp about 30 degrees higher (at all times) than the same brand of gauge on our 2003 with the same engine. They replaced both gauge and sender but no difference. When we get back to KC I'm going to go to the truck shop that installed the gauges on the 2003 and see what they think.

Pre-turbo or post-turbo for the EGT probe is probably personal preference. Dave is right that if the probe is pre-turbo and breaks off it will take out the turbo. But the odds of that are very slim. The tradeoff is the EGT reading when pre-turbo reacts more quickly to temp changes and I want to know I'm approaching the limit before it causes damage. Just my preference. The installer originally put it post-turbo but I didn't like the slow reaction times and low readings (was used to pre-turbo on the other truck) so made him move it to the exhaust manifold. Again, just my preference. Either location is worthwhile.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote