View Single Post
Old 01-09-2005, 03:56 PM   #9
Montana_2737

M.O.C. #2737
Thanks to all who responded. I did get hold of George at Lippert Components as MIMF suggested. Received a new switch and wiring harness Jan 6 at no charge other than postage to send the old switch back. Since only the switch was bad I pulled the new one off the four wires and replaced only the bad switch. On the back of the switch are two crossed pieces of metal(one passes under the other from corner to corner) which seem to act as fuses because one was completely melted away in the middle like you would see in a glass fuse (only the metal is much thicker). I'm sending the defective switch back to George so will call later and find out what his theory is as to why the metal was melted. New switch works fine. By the way, in case this happens to you I discovered a way to make the landing gear motor retract/extend without the switch. I have a Chicago Electric 3 in 1 Jumpstart Battery. I disconnected the (2)red and (2)black wires on the landing gear motor. By connecting my red and black battery cables to the red and black motor wires and using the on/off switch on the Jumpstart I could retract the landing gear.By switching the leads on the motor wires the gear would extend.Presume you could do the same thing with jumper cables attached to your rig's battery. (You just wouldn't have the convenient on/off switch of the Jumpstart. Also, if your rig was hooked to your fifth you would need really long jumper cables). The landing gear switch appparently just changes polarity of the wires to retract or extend. I don't believe there is a separate relay switch as sreigle suggested.
Montana_2737 is offline   Reply With Quote