Old 11-03-2015, 05:18 AM   #19
bfryman
Established Member

M.O.C. #15898
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by cw3jason

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bfryman

Hate to admit it but something similar happened to me a couple of weeks ago. Camping at Fourth Cliff Recreation Area (military campground between Boston and Cape Cod). Mostly cabins but a small number of back-in rv sites. Checked their campground map before the trip and it looked okay - loop road around campground, appears to be plenty of maneuver room. Should have known - as soon as I registered, the girl at the desk said you need to go up this hill and turn left to the site. I said can't I go around the loop? No, the loop is closed :-(. So up the hill I go. I turn left and almost immediately start back down hill around a few curves. Get to the campsite and there is a Bobcat blocking what was shown as the loop on the map. Pull up to the Bobcat and look in my mirror - tires of the trailer aren't even past the campsite entry. Sat for a few minutes trying to decide what to do - try to back up the hill, try to maneuver into the campsite, throw up the white flag and abandon the Montana, cry (seemed like the best option)... Then a worker shows up and says he will move the Bobcat but not far (some relief). He does and watches me struggle to get into the site. After a few minutes of watching me with the DW giving directions, he offers to help and he did. After about 30 minutes of maneuvering (seemed like about 30 hours), sometimes moving only inches, sometimes nearly scraping the campground fence. Got into the site. As others have said, biggest loss was sweat and biggest blow was to my ego. Don't know what we would have done without his help. The campground itself was great and we can't wait to go back - just hope I don't get that same site again :-).
We stayed there this year with the Monty too. We had the middle site up on the old gun site. beautiful view over the cliff to the ocean, but you are correct. very tight getting in there. I had to squeeze between two existing 5vrs. It is a shame the storms have washed out loop road. I hope they get the money to fix it. It is a beautiful place to stay.
Jason, Does the handle mean you are a CW3? Which branch, retired or active? I'm retired Army. Thought it a bit ironic that we both have 3711's and tow with F350's (although yours is a bit newer). We really enjoyed our stay at Fourth Cliff. Would like to get one of the sites up at the top next time. We were in the site next to the observation tower this trip. Our views were of the river from the bedroom and the ocean from the living room.
bfryman is offline   Reply With Quote