View Single Post
Old 03-16-2005, 07:59 AM   #15
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
Of course it all depends on where you'll be hauling your Monty! We live in Colorado Springs which sits on the edge of the Rocky Mountains. We haven't towed all over Colorado, but get along just fine, so far, with one exception: Monarch Pass. Haven't been over Wolf Creek with the big rig, haven't come down I-70 into Denver either. I think if I did have EB's, I still wouldn't want to be in that throng on I-70 unless I absolutely had to!!

Many years ago, we had a mini-MH, and towed a 18 foot boat over Wolf Creek, headed to Navajo Reservoir on the Colo/NMex border. I started smelling hot brakes, remarked to my wife about it, and quickly noticed they were mine!! We pulled over pronto!

Coming down Hiway 24 is just perfect, I can loaf along in high gear right at the speed limit (60), and down to 45 in the last curly stretch coming down Ute Pass.

Monarch is another story - I have to use low gear, and still use some brakes to avoid over reving. Any higher gear, and I would be doing Mach 3, if I could keep it on the road! And of course, I may make an occassional driver mad at me - but I figure, what's the rush, the scenery is gorgeous!!

For now, we'll skip the brakes and just take it easy....
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote