View Single Post
Old 09-30-2019, 02:07 PM   #18
Irv
Established Member

M.O.C. #19411
Wheel bearing hub

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeje View Post
If they are easy lube there should be a removable plastic cap in the center of the chrome center cap. Once you remove it you should see a black rubber plug in there. Pry that out to reveal the grease zerk to lube the bearings. They are best lubed with the wheel off the ground and spinning while being lubed. It takes quite a bit of grease to force the old grease out. Possibly a 1/2 tube or more. Some have had issues with grease getting by the seal and do not use that feature. If done correctly you should not have an issue.

I pump 30-40 pumps into each wheel every season. IMHO inspecting/repacking the bearings every year is a waste of time if you keep them lubed up properly with the ez lube system. I have NEVER removed and inspected the bearings of the 3 trailers I have owned over the last 15 years and have never had a problem. All 3 had the ez lube system.

I use Mobil 1 red synthetic grease.
Completely agree and have added a picture of the hub. Don't use (nor let someone else use) an automatic grease gun. Pump the 30-40 pumps slowly as you rotate the tire a 20(?) times.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hub cover.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	4762  
Irv is offline   Reply With Quote