View Single Post
Old 11-21-2007, 01:13 PM   #29
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
As a relative newcomer (but long time hauler), let me throw out some facts learned by lots and lots of study and research:

- GM likes to say the 2500HD has a max pin rating of 3000. What they don't tell you is that NO diesel can carry that much PW, that rating is for the 6.0L gasser only. The 900 to 1000 extra weight of the D/A comes off the cargo capacity.
- The 'curb weight' on the sticker is like the empty weight on the Montana sticker...worthless. The only way to find the real empty weight of a newer model truck is to find the cargo capacity from the Tire and Loading Information sticker on the left rear door post. Take that number and subtract it from the GVWR...there is your empty weight.
- SRW one ton vs 3/4 tons for GM products. The difference in GVWR is only 700 (9900/9200). By the time you add the extra weight of a one ton plus the long bed (GM does not make a short bed one ton) you have lost half that 700 lb gain.
- Fords are very very heavy. The dealers like to rave about the 3/4 ton Ford's 10000 GVWR. However, the 10k Ford has within 100 lbs the same CARGO CAPACITY as the 9.2k GM.
- When talking diesel pickups, you can ignore tow ratings. Although a bit different, only a few hundred pounds. Any diesel will pull any Montana. The difference is in the ability to carry the pin weight.
- Using my truck as an example, I have a pw of 2600 and carry an extra 1000 of things in the truck (hitch, bigger fuel tank, Montana spare, passengers, lots of tools, animal and his things, travel information (manuals/books/gps, etc), cooler and no telling what else. My total load of 3600 in the truck greatly exceeds any 3/4 ton truck. I drive a dually...don't really want one, but that's what it takes to carry all my stuff and the D/W's choice of a 5th wheel.
- I have lots of 'real' numbers I have taken from truck lots regarding various capacities. If anybody would like them, I'd be happy to share...send me a PM/Email.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote