View Single Post
Old 10-31-2007, 10:40 AM   #22
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
I belong to the I didn't know when I brought my truck what I know now group. Sure I looked at the Trailer GVWR and checked the towing guide to make sure my truck was rated to pull more weight than that. Thought that was all I had to be careful of. I was surprised to learn about GAWRs and that the GVWR of the truck was not the sum of the two axle ratings. I admit that I exceed the weight rating of my truck for the GVWR. I used to exceed the rear axle GAWR....I don't anymore. I am now much more aware of weight and actively try and keep it down. I will never get below my GVWR of 9200 with this Montana....and I am not happy or proud that I have towed so far without killing myself. If I were back at the beginning I would have worked the numbers better and either ended up in a 1 ton or maybe a 3/4 ton but with the extended cab vice the crew cab if the numbers worked out better. I watch my speed and constantly remind myself I am running heavy. I just can not afford to sell this truck and get a different one at this time so I try and be as safe and careful as I can. period. I don't worry as much about the everyday steady state towing, I worry about the emergency response and handling if I end up in a situation where things are anything but normal. I pulled my TT originally without a weight distributing hitch but soon made the move to one. On that owners forum I always recommend that folks use one, not that they will notice a difference pulling day to day but in those emergency situations.

We all hope never to be in those situations. My second day towing a 5th wheel EVER I had the rear wheel of the truck come off while traveling 65 MPH on the PA turnpike. The trailer did get a scratch but it was just a scratch and no people were hurt. Blessed is what we were and prepared. One of the first things when I got the truck 9 days before getting the Montana was to practice activating the trailer brakes manually without having to look. My previous TV, while having the same style controller had it mounted much higher and on the opposite side of the steering column than my 2500 did. Being able to reach down and brake the trailer allowed me to keep control of the combined rig and safely get to the side of the road. I try not to forget what can happen out there on the road every time I get behind the wheel. I WANT to be as safe as possible. If I can't get under the OEM limits with my current set up I will strive to be as close as I can until I can make the neccessary changes to meet the limits. Pleae don't take my decisions/choices as an endorsement or encouragement to disregard the limits, but rather as something that you should strive to meet and failure to do so is at your own peril. (not that being within limits will assure that nothing bad will ever happen to you ut it does minimize the chance.)
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote