View Single Post
Old 01-27-2021, 09:27 PM   #8
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
mUSt bE spECial

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
Well this "know it all" has a bit of counterpoint to add into this melee. I will agree that the Roadmaster shocks with the way they can be mounted will do a bit of good. The Lippert shocks in the other ETrailer example won't do squat. Simply look at the angle of the shock and visualize just how much compression that shock is going to have on say a 2" to maybe 3" deflection?? 6" overall travel of your springs "stated from an engineering source" is a bit of a stretch say just tooling down the road. I figure more like 2-3" total spring travel unless you hit a deep pot hole. Watch the suspensions of vehicles you follow down the interstate to get my drift. With a shock laying over that far, what would you figure the shock compression to be if the spring reacted say 2.5" ... not much. Now at low speed rocking into a campsite, you might get closer to the 6" travel ... maybe. But then it is irrelevant because you're doing say 3-5 mph. My 2000 or 2005 Montana (can't remember which) had shocks straight from the factory, but they didn't do squat because they were mounted at an insane angle. I'd guess besides cost, the reason new models don't come shock equipped is the return in ride improvement is minimal.

Apparently bshgto has had rewarding results with his shocks, but I've put the laid over shocks on a couple of units and both owners reported barely noticable difference and felt their money would have best been spent on something else. Like bshgto ... I'd go with a different equalizer like EZ Flex. Equaflex, or the shown SRE 4000 instead.
Did you read my post at all. Your just guessing with your numbers and offering just opinions, 14 degrees is not laying over maybe you just installed them wrong, there several different ways to put them on depending on frame size and if you clip the ear off to lessen the angle, they did do some good. Insane angle? Maybe I should have stated 14 degrees form true 90 Degrees is 76 degrees of angle. Maybe the pic will clear things up for you. It`s running about 93% efficiency which is pretty good like I said look at your truck shock it`s about the same.
If your friends were not satisfied with the performance they could have changed out the shocks for a firmer set. I would not have let that go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shocks.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	260.6 KB
ID:	8348  
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote