Thread: Internet
View Single Post
Old 09-16-2022, 08:49 AM   #14
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee-CI View Post
Okay - I'm going to be the oddball for this topic......
For a cost of $20 per month plus tax plus the upfront cost of one of their hotspot routers, the DW and I decided to roll the dice and get in on the startup of the Dish Genesis 5G network. With that said, the equipment is fully backward compatible to 4G LTE. When T-Mobile and Sprint merged, congress mandated that there still be a 4th major carrier and Dish jumped into the fray with both feet. The coverage for the Dish Genesis 5G network is extremely sparse. With that said, they have data usage agreements with Verizon and AT&T - unknown at this time about any T-Mobile agreement.

We were skeptical, but decided to roll the dice with this prospect. We've only done one two week outing so far and I'm certain our hotspot was connected to the Verizon network. Streamed flawlessly at 36 - 40Mb download speeds.

I just got our first bill - $20.23 total. We have no data caps, no throttling and no roaming charges. As an added benefit - the service can be turned off for the months that it is not in use. One merely pays for one full calendar month at a time.

Again - we've only done one outing with the equipment so far, but the setup worked flawlessly. The hotspot device is a NetGear NightHawk M6 Pro and has a pair of TS-9 antenna ports for external MIMO inputs plus an Ethernet port for direct connection to a router hub or a PC.

We are not suggesting everyone run out and get this service. Instead we wanted to provide the info as what appears to be a very cost effective and viable option.
Lee, let me know how this works. I've only used the T-Mobile once and it worked great. The downside is my Winegard router is 4G. The plan is $50 per month. I like the $20 per month.