View Single Post
Old 10-27-2008, 08:46 AM   #39
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bill-N-Donna

I'm new to this diesel thing. Never had one before. Although our T/V is a Ford our dealer recomended that I use 15-40 Motorcraft Oil for Diesel motors. Don't know that the brand would make any difference but I believe this is a partial synthetic oil. I wish I had the history on my truck but I don't have. It is purring like a kitten right now and it has 311k+ miles on it. Don't have any reservations about taking off somewhere on a long trip at this point.
Bill, the new oil is labeled as meeting the CJ4 requirements for the new emissions standards. It is backward compatible so should work just fine in your older Cummins. Before long CJ4 is all we'll be able to buy, anyhow.

I had the oil changed this morning and caught a break. My Cummins requires 12 quarts. I had Walmart do the change. They have a base price for the change, then charge for the oil since I did not want to use their standard oil (used Rotella T synthetic 5w40 synthetic). They then credit back the five quarts included in the base oil change price. The tech used three gallon jugs of oil (better price for me) rather than 12 individual quart bottles. When they rung it up, their computer would not accept the credit of five QUARTS since the oil charged was in GALLONS. They called the manager who said first to credit me for two gallons (8 quarts instead of the normal 5) and then said he would call the computer guy to fix the problem. So, I ended up paying for an extra 4 quarts instead of 7 quarts. The oil change cost me a total of $73.40, including oil and filter. Normally it's closer to $90.

I caught another break when I went to the Dodge dealer to have the air filter changed. The service manager took me to the parts counter to buy the filter ($33.60 and tax), then he installed it with no labor charge. He said he wasn't even going to write a ticket on it. Two breaks in one day! I think I'll go out after awhile and buy some lottery tickets.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote