View Single Post
Old 04-27-2008, 07:42 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by MIMF

Good Morning , everybody.

David, it doesn't sound to me that you have stripped any gears. It simply sounds like you where running out of 12 volt power those last 2 inches of extending the legs. I think, the clicking you was hearing was the clutc slipping due to low voltage.

Those motors that operate the legs draw 30 amps of power from the battery. Even if you have the shore cord plugged into 110 volt power and the converter is trickle charging the battery, it may not be charging the battery fast enough to provide that much voltage for a 30 amp draw. This is why I have found that I never have any trouble by backing up to the king-pin as close as possible then, go around and plug in the Bargman cable into the recept on the truck. That way, I am now also using 12 volt power from the 2 batteries on the truck, also.

Of course, I have a more unique situation, in that I need somewhere between 50 and 70 amps of power to raise my coach to align the king-pin because, of the pump for the hydraulic legs. The reason I know it takes between 50 and 70 amps is because, the pump use to be protected with a 50 amp auto reset breaker. I have since replace it with a 70 amp manual reset.

Hope this helped a little.

Dale
If I may add a comment. Ford requires the engine be running before it will supply 12v through the trailer connection. I guess that keeps it from running down the truck's batteries. I'm not sure about Dodge and GM.

Also, some GM's won't send 12v to the trailer at all until you put a fuse in the empty fuse holder. I think it's in the fuse box. GM guys will know.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote