View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 07:20 PM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Randye, I forgot to mention your Dodge's computer will tell you when it's time to change oil. It has some algorithm using engine and oil temperatures, length of trips, loads, etc. With a mix of towing and solo driving, my Dodge has started beeping at me at from 5200 to 5600 miles. It beeps with each start and you have to hit a button to clear the message and it will continue until you reset it. The reset procedure is to turn on the key, engine off, and press the accelerator to the floor three times within ten seconds. Then start the engine and it won't beep until ready for another oil change.

With the Ford, when I went to synthetic I changed oil at every 10,000 miles. The truck had 85,000 when I traded it and still didn't use any oil at all. I liked the 10k mile oil changes because the cost of the filter and 15 quarts of oil cost me %85 to $100. With the Dodge oil filter being less than $5 and the Cummins requiring just 12 quarts, an oil change is under $50. So I don't feel so bad changing it when it says it's time. The Cummins also is still on the full mark at oil change time with no oil additions. Hopefully that's a good sign.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote