View Single Post
Old 03-02-2008, 06:23 PM   #3
PartyCrashers
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4524
Phil-
I guess I've been there but in a little different sense.
After my Mother passed away my Father moved into my home...he did not want to live alone. During his time in my home he went from a very independent man, to being like my child. He suffered from renal failure, which he needed to go to dialysis three days a week. Then he suffered through stomach cancer. After five years he passed away.

It was hard, we could not really plan to leave home for more then a few days....then not at all. Through the hard times we also had a lot of good moments. My young adult son, quit work and became my father's care person during the day, while my husband and I went to work.
(naturally my son was paid a salary ) then my sister who lives in town, her and her family would help when ever we needed, appointments, advice, errands, company, or just to give "breaks".

Yes it was hard, but I owuld not do it any differently. I feel it is more important for the aging parent to live with family oppose to a "convalescent/rehab home".

As far as the will.....yes it is best to get a "living trust" set up. Probate court is so expensive.

Enjoy these times now that you can have with your parents. Times change so fast and unexpectedly.
PartyCrashers is offline   Reply With Quote