Thread: Mud dobbers
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2020, 06:14 PM   #1
RBul31
Established Member

M.O.C. #26968
Mud dobbers

I recently purchased a Used 2014 Keystone Montana 35' 5th Wheel. Every place I open I find Mud dobber nests. Most of them I can clean out fairly easy. My main issue is them getting into the furnace. We turned on the furnace and there was a God Awful smell. It didn't smell like anything I ever experienced. It got to the point it was burning our eyes. I read post on this site and other that said to check for blockages. Bird nests, Mud Dobbers,Dead Mice, etc. I opened up the Exhaust chamber and found mud dobbers. I cleaned it all out and tried the furnace again. The smell was still there but considerably lighter. I let the furnace run for about and hour to see if it would clear up. It didn't although it stayed less smelly.
Since I just bought this I decided to take it in and have the furnace serviced and the Gas lines check for leaks. They called me and said the inside was full of Mud Dobbers and it took them a long time to clean everything out. ($500 worth of time)
So now my question. Have any of you experienced this and what steps can be taken to seal the furnace area up to help prevent things from getting in. Do you think they came in the venting system? Is the Furnace pretty easy to remove and clean out? (It is for me because I haven't even found out how to access it from the inside yet.)
RBul31 is offline   Reply With Quote