View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Reese 16 K slider

Hello everyone,
We're the folks from Folsom who recently purchased an 06 2995 Monty. We have a 2500 Duramax 4WD short bed to haul it with. We have not installed our hitch yet. When we purchased the 5th wheel we were offered a like new Reese 16K slider for only $400 [removed from the other 5th wheel owner's vehicle]. We have not paid for or taken that hitch yet. So yesterday I met someone who has a Raptor 32'. We started discussing hitches and he told me to purchase any other hitch, but DO NOT INSTALL ANY REESE SLIDER! He said he had his first 16K slider replaced because the slide would disengage during acceleration and braking and slam his vehicle around. When Reese replaced the 16k with a 22K. He said it worked fine for about 5000 towing miles and then the same thing occured! He called Reese again and they recommended a bungie cord to hold the slider lever secure. I know this all sounds weird, but I need any input ya'll can give me to avoid this potential situation. I really don't like to knock any specific products, but if true this would be not just unacceptable-but also a safety issue.
Thanks so much,

Jim and Kathy
Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote