View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 04:35 AM   #2
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
Your slides are most likely Schwintek. You can tell by looking at the side of the slide when extended. If you see two rails on each side that have a worm gear like track upper and lower, then they are Schwintek. Hydraulic slides have a hydraulic ram underneath and you will see rails with a gear track. This track is used to keep the slide straight, but the hydraulic ram does the moving. The other possible type is cable driven. Since yours is a Montana HC, you possibly have those as well. You will see the cable when the slides are extended, so that one is easy to identify as well. I have never had cable slides, so I can't speak to the maintenance on these.
Hydraulics require very little maintenance. Just wipe off the rails underneath of any dirt or debris. Also try to keep the hydraulic ram clean. Many use a rag with hydraulic fluid on it to wipe off the ram. I prefer to use PTFE Dry Lube on the rail and ram, because it does not attract dirt like oil or other lubricants do.
On the Schwintek slides, you can use PTFE Dry Lube to spray a shot or two on the gear at the motor. With the slide extended, pull back the rubber gasket near the track and use the straw on your can to spray a few shots on the gear. Wipe any dirt off the track and you're done.
Regardless of type of slide, you will also want to condition the seals periodically. I usually do it every six months. I use 3-in-1 RV Rubber Seal Care https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QL37GPN...v_ov_lig_dp_it.
While you're at it, hit the other rubber seals on the slide, both inside and out to keep them from drying out and cracking.
You can search YouTube for some great videos on the process. Lippert has a few like this one .
It's very simple and not worth paying over $100 to have it done for you.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote