View Single Post
Old 01-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #10
CADman_KS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25060
Quote:
Originally Posted by kowbra View Post
Great advice!

Here is the one thing I would add... a big issue when turning that can get missed is how far your backend will go in the opposite direction from your turn; and it's the part you cannot see in your mirrors, at all.
For example, imagine you are in the right lane and turning right at the lights. You are worried about clipping the curb with your wheels, so you've given yourself lots of room by being on the left side of the lane. But as you make that right turn, the left rear of your Montana will swing way to the left; perhaps even into the nearby lane.
I drove semi for years and never had to worry about this, as the axles are at the back of the trailer. But, to limit pin weight on pickups, the wheels on 5th wheels are placed way ahead of the rear bumper, which allows that back end to move so much. And that is a complete blind spot.

5th wheels do tow amazingly stable and I think you will really enjoy it!
That is a GREAT addition!, and 100% correct!

I consider myself a "seasoned" fifth wheeler. However, I got myself in a situation just this last summer, that could have ended very bad. We were turning into a gas station, off of a busy street, and I thought that I had swung far left to avoid hitting an 8" curb with the right side tires. About half way thru that turn, in the mirrors, I realized that we were going to clip the curb, by a pretty fair amount, and I had no choice but to stop. I threw the rig in reverse, and backed up, to adjust to make the corner without clipping the curb. One thing that I do like about the Montana's is that they have reverse lights. The people behind me started backing up immediately!!! LOL...