Thread: Help me Weigh
View Single Post
Old 11-07-2021, 09:28 PM   #8
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
That's an interesting thought, adding Pin to Trailer axle weight. In driving commercially, the weight on the pin was truck weight not trailer weight ... is the rule different pulling a fifth wheel?
hmm, I read it differently. To me, this is not about a "rule" on where to measure the weight, but more just simple math... as noted, if we know the empty weight of the truck, then every pound added must come from the trailer; ie in this case the added "pin weight". So, to arrive at the total trailer weight, the weight that transfers to the truck must be added to the weight on the trailer axles.

Maybe the difference is that when commercial hauling tractor / trailer units, the GVW is the combined total vehicle weight, and not GVW of tractor separate from trailer. Of course, GAWR is measured and very important, which is what makes sure there is proper weight distribution.

In the case of pickup and RV trailer (ball or 5th wheel), the manufacturers are completely separate and each list their own GVWR that must be abided by; separately. Thus the math that Carl shared makes sense, to me.

At least, that's how I read it.

Brad