View Single Post
Old 04-03-2011, 03:37 PM   #1
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
First Tow with 2011 3500HD OMG!

Finally, the weather allowed us to hitch up for the first time with the new 2011 3500 Dmax CC SB SRW. My reference for towing to date was with our 2004 2500HD Dmax.

Biggest concern was how the Super glide from the 2004 would work in the 2011. Talked to Pullrite and they advised me to not only purchase all new below box hardware because of the new frame, but Linda there strongly suggested using the three inch riser kit because of the high bed walls in the new truck. I took it one step further and purchased the "longer" pins. This are the connection from the hitch above the bed to the frame hardware below. These pins are only about 1/2" longer.

When I hooked up I was pleasantly surprised. I had about 8" clearance between the Monty and the top of the bed rail, on the 2004 there was 6". My next concern was how the pin box would clear the bed rails on a very acute jack knife. I have an Access Lorado roll up cover that stands about 1" high. So the wife was out watching me crank the hitch, got it to a 90 angle and we were clearing the cover rail by about 1.5". Needless to say I was very happy with this.

Now that I knew everything was OK, we hit the road. The 3500 is much more stable than the 2004 2500. You can feel the 3500 taking control of the tow. Just a great feeling.

The shifting is totally different from the 2004, took a little time to get comfortable with it.

The integrated brake controller is easier to calibrate than my old Prodigy. Right now the gain is set at 5.5 out of a possible 10.

The exhaust brake is wonderful, I wish I had this last year out in the mountains, but better late than never.

I could go on, but I think you get my drift. By the way we did not want a dually because for one it will not fit in our garage and second the truck is not totally dedicated to towing, so the SRW is best for us.
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote