Thread: Tires part deux
View Single Post
Old 11-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #9
Slufoot733
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9928
I am reminded of an issue that developed many years ago. It involved Ford Explorers and Firestone tires. Anyone recall all the publicity on the terrible crashes caused by the tires failing making the suv flip over? The fingers pointed at Ford for vehicle design failures and Firestone for faulty tire production. It caused lots of bad feelings and law suits.

But when you actually sit down and study the incidents the facts point to other causes, i.e. overloaded vehicles, low tire pressure, and high speed. I certainly did not do the research but I did read some articles about the investigation into the problem. It was determined that a large percentage of the accidents were the result of poor maintenance of the tires and/or overloaded vehicles. Speed also played into the equation.

People are people. We RVer's are more aware of tire problems than the general motorist but some of us (myself included) forget, or are too busy, or in a hurry. Fate deals us a bad hand now and again. When we drop our guard the chance of Murphy's Law increases. In most cases it's not the 'bad tire' or the faulty axles; it's fate. Just stay vigilant, don't rush through the check list......take care of your equipment. And check those tires as often as you can!
Slufoot733 is offline   Reply With Quote