View Single Post
Old 05-11-2020, 05:07 PM   #15
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
As I have already mentioned in a couple other posts, the wife and I are moving to Carlsbad, NM and will be fulltime for at least a while. As such, I am rather concerned about keeping the 5er warm and cool.

There is no shade and you cannot build a cover over the RV at the campground where we will be located (not that there is much shade to be found in NM anyway). So everything will have to be attached to the 5er in some fashion. The 5er will most likely be sitting in one spot for extended timeframe so even semi permanent additions that would have to be removed to move the RV is something we would consider (as long as they aren't unattractive).

DQDick has a third roof A/C and I discussed same with him. We will definitely be doing that add.

I also know there are some locations where adding foam insulation might help a little.

Any other suggestions are very welcome.

Hi there,

We stayed in Santa Fe NM for a whole year in 2010 to 2011. Its up at about 7000 feet where we were at. The night time temps got into the teen's 8 times that winter. so it was heat that we were having to deal with.

The 2 air con's worked great in the summer time. Even if we had to start them in the middle of the day.

Like I said, Keeping us warm was another issue. Not that the heater didn't work fine. It did but boy it ate up a lot of LP fuel. The park would not let me add a 150# tank on the outside of our unit and I got tired of hauling tanks every week. So we got electrical heaters. Help out great. I was getting fuel one a month instead of every week. We got 2 small heater. one in the bedroom and one in the galley by the big TV. Even when it snowed we were nice and warm. It did add to our electric bill, but it was worth that extra cost.

Good luck, you will be fine out there.

Oh, My wife just said not to forget to tell you about the electric blanket we also used

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote