View Single Post
Old 03-26-2023, 01:23 PM   #13
vapackerfan1966

M.O.C. #32103
J Wrap Issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWs View Post
Hi all,

I had an incident this past very windy Friday after taking my 2016 3791RD for its annual inspection (Texas).

On the way home, thankfully about 6-7 miles from the house, something caught my eye in the right-side mirror. Something flopping. Luckily, I was on a lightly traveled divided cut-through four lane, so I immediately stopped, on the road, yes, no shoulder. When I got to the back of the trailer, I saw my J-wrap only being held on by a few bolts on the bottom to the frame. The rest had torn thru the J-wrap and were still in the frame. This piece of aluminum is almost 13 feet long. It will not go in the trailer. No way to hold it up. It will not fit in the bed of the truck. I had to leave the piece in the grass along the side of the road, take the Montana home, pick up my enclosed utility trailer to go back to get a hopefully still there piece of J-wrap. It was there. Loaded the piece and took it home.

Here's where I got REALLY mad! Upon inspection of the J-wrap, the ONLY bolts holding the wrap to the trailer securely is on the bottom to the frame. PERIOD. So what holds the top? ONLY the aluminum channel that holds the black plastic cover at the floor level. It’s used as a pinch piece. The aluminum ONLY goes up to just below the screw line of the aluminum channel. No adhesive of any kind. No screws. No staples. No nails. Nothing! If the J-wrap had an extra 1/2” of material, the screws holding the channel could have gone thru the aluminum to help hold. Or, a few staples AND the channel would have been nice! But NOOOO!

I’ve watched a couple J-wrap install videos; none were Keystone models. THEY used staples under same said channel.

Yeah, I’m still mad as _____!

JOEL

My 2022 3781RL was not fastened to the frame at all on the passenger side. It had two self drilling screws attached to the front of the fender, and was barely under the pinch rail. The screws pulled out of the plastic fender. I have been fighting the issue ever since. I put "U nuts" in the plastic fender, self drilling screws into the frame where non had ever been installed , and put screws through the J wrap. It then popped out under the door. I put a piece of aluminum flat bar under the door to hold it. I believe that in addition improper installation, the frame flexes so much, that there will be constant issues like this
vapackerfan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote