Thread: 5er weight.
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2018, 09:24 PM   #34
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
My loaner truck was 16 one ton SRW, handled the Fifthwheel pretty well. Checked on WASDOT scales and found out that I was over the 11,500 GVW. Truck had plenty of power and towing felt quite secure, it did drop a few inches in the rear when hooked to my 3160. My old 2000 F350 SRW had airbags and some anti sway pads that replaced the snubers. It was also over on the GVW and the GCVWR, it handled the unit pretty good too but not as good as the loaner truck. Obviously power etc was not even close to the new truck but mileage was a bit better with old truck.
Next loaner truck was 17 F250 which towed my unit quite nice in good conditions but when you added in a nasty wind it got a bit unstabe, more than I like. I didn't bother to weigh it as I knew it was over the GVW ratings.
Just my opinion but I really think most people should have at least a one ton SRW to tow these heavier units. People can do and say what ever they want but I can guarantee you that my one ton DRW is way more stable than any of the other three tow vehicles I have recently towed with. Aftermarket items can definitely help the 3/4 ton and one ton SRW trucks in stability and I will also say load capability, not to be confused with legal GVW weight increase. Suspension angle due to to much weight can greatly influence the way your truck steers and the feel you get in the seat of your pants.

Tom Marty