View Single Post
Old 07-12-2021, 01:19 PM   #32
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDH View Post
That's exactly the batteries that I'm involved with right now and they thermally ran away! This isn't the first case either, so yes it is the point, I do understand the chemistry and have done a lot of research on it and they are not as bullet proof as you say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcrvman View Post
I did a lot of research before buying mine and see no issue. I know LOTS of people with the same battery and no issue. I can't speak for some of the chinese cheap batteries, but the Japanese/American are of the highest quality.

You are either grossly misinformed or have a financial interest. Are you a lawyer, plaintiff?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryles View Post
It will be interesting to see the new battery technology come to market and drive down the price.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael...h=33998d4e6d28

Interesting back and forth discussion here. RVDH stated that the batteries (plural) weren't hooked up to anything and just thermally ran away. Interesting scenario of a battery failure. I'm not clear (and would like to know) what exact brand, amp hour, voltage arrangement (series 12 or 24 volt or parallel 12 volt, how many batteries were in the bank) "thermally ran away" as described by RVDH. For sake of discussion and common understanding, it also might be helpful to see a picture of the failed battery(s). Was a BMS present to cut off under/over voltage, was there an in line fuse on the positive side, did a metal object accidentally come into contact with conductors, etc. etc.? Bcrvman is correct that Tesla battery technology is different than LiFePo4 battery. Each lithium variation has a different history of failures. It would be misleading to the readers on this forum imply that all lithium battery technologies are prone to the same problems. RVDH stated, "make sure you buy the ones that are housed with an aluminum liner inside the battery so your RV doesn't burn up with the batteries. To my knowledge, all LiFePo4 batteries I've seen or purchased, were manufactured in an aluminum enclosure. There was some discussion about where present and future lithium battery technology is coming from. Last Sunday morning, Will Prowse posted an 8 minute rant about this subject, that I found interesting, which I'll include a link here:

Apparently according to Prowse, China is the leader in Lithium technology. If I understand Prowse correctly, Battleborn and other manufacturers are importing Chinese batteries and putting them in proprietary enclosures. If true, a case could be made to create a scratch built DIY LiFePo4battery system at a fraction of the cost. Appreciate everyone's comments.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote