View Single Post
Old 07-31-2007, 03:27 AM   #29
old turbo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2486
I will have to eat crow. I have printed in an early post that I would not use a fuel additive. I just got my new Sept. issue of Diesel Power Magazine which has a section, FUEL ADDITIVES: IS YOUR ENGINE IN DANGER? The story on how and what diesel was and is now is extensive. If you want the full story purchase the magazine. Here is a short part. DIESEL FUEL ADDITIVES; Until the '70s, there was little or no use of additives in diesel fuel. The product manufactured at most refinereies was generally a blend of straight-run atmospheric distillate components, and apart from the sulfer content, the desired specifications could be met without the need for user-supplied additives. Cold-weather performance was a concern, but the early diesel engine operators blended diesel with kerosene to eliminate gelling. Today's modern, electrically controled diesel engines can't use the same methods. In the U.S., where the enormous fuel market has necessitated a high level of downstream conversion to yield more gasoline, diesel fuel quality has suffered. More low-cetane diesel fuel is being diverted for vehicle consumption because it can no longer be absorbed by the shrinking market for domestic heating oil. For this reason, the diesel owner may need to use additives with the fuel if proper engine performance and long life are expected. Diesel Power Magazine recognized the need to educate the enthusiast and worked closely with Power Service Products to bring this technical primer to you. Power Service Products is a true diesel additive formulator with its own research, testing manufacturing , bottling and distribution network. Though there are many other additives brands on the market, we chose to work with Power Service Products because the company is involved in every step of the process and doesen't simply have someone else's product-good or bad bottled for them. The article tells about useing the proper amounts of additives because of the cost. If you have never used any additives you may want to add more in the first few fill-ups. A trained ear can tell a diesel engine that's suffering from many miles of untreated fuel. Everyone has the option to go with additives if they want. This is just some general magazine info.
old turbo is offline   Reply With Quote