View Single Post
Old 10-24-2013, 05:53 AM   #39
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Tom S.
What a bunch of contradictions! You won't spend thousands more for IS to help the problem, yet you laud your BIL who did essentially that when he bought his trailer. The mfg. of his trailer didn't throw those items in for free, did they? If so, it explains why they went out of business. I long ago came to the conclusion that you would be far happier selling you trailer and buying another brand. You must spend at least an hour a day here complaining about how bad these trailers are. Maybe you can find a used one like your BIL has.
Actually the unit purchased by my BIL was their top model and although they certainly added to the initial cost, the IS and Hydraulic disk brakes were standard equipment, they were not options.
Most importantly they recognized a problem with the frame and instead of saying "You are the first to have that problem" they addressed it with each and every owner.

The company is out of business because it produced few units, they were quality built and like other small manufacturers of the day they could not compete with the all of the "build 10 a day manufacturers"

The fact that they recognized the need for upgraded suspension on their largest units set them apart from most if not all of the high volume manufacturers like Keystone.

Quote:
quoteriginally posted by Richfa
We each need to understand the RV industry and that requires a lot of homework. Once you understand how these things are built and what problems they are likely to have you may take up another pastime.. These are Rv's that are intended to travel down the road yet we all agree that they can not stand the stress of doing that. What the???? We will have to put another 5 to 6K $$ into this new 2013 Big Sky till we are sort of confideent that it can travel down the road with out something falling apart.
I would prefer to look at the original cost of a Big Sky with these added improvements already installed and be able to say to myself, "I just cannot afford this unit" rather than have these expenses pop up after I have purchased what is supposed to be the top of the line product.
These are all units that will be towed over varying conditions on our highways, they should not be falling apart while doing so. Keystone is well aware there are frame problems, they either must address this issue with Lippert or build the remainder of the structure in such a way that it will not fall apart due to the limitations of the frames.

Since that is not going to happen and allow them keep their profits up, we are stuck with the same old, same old...
Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote