View Single Post
Old 10-23-2013, 01:18 PM   #30
jswharton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10100
The accountant in me says that Lippet has a good idea of the frame flex issue. A quick response of 1.5% failure rate seems to indicate they track this stuff. They gather information on every frame warranty claim. I would want to know the 5th wheel build date, how many miles traveled, pin type, hitch type, etc, etc. it would seem that with all the frames they build that there would be some type of predictive values that increase the probability of a frame issue.

The question I asked myself was if I put on a pin box and hitch that would absorb the most amount of chucking and vertical forces would I avoid the frame flex issue? While that seems very logical and makes a lot of common sense, I/we don't have any real statistics to support the conclusion. If we did I for one would go out and buy the equipment regardless of the brand or builder of the frame. Question, what is the failure rate for the DRV frames, I would be suspicious if it were zero.

Lippert is in the cross eyes because they build soooooo many frames, DRV build sX amount of frames and Lippert builds 50X times the #? Whatever the # it's a lot more.

So I'm confused. Why does one frame fail and another doesn't? I was under the impression that the Montana Lippert frames were mechanically welded, does anyone know if that is true? And I too have been told that the weld is stronger than the material?

There are just so many variables, drives me nuts, even thought it is a short trip!

What Bingo describes makes too much common sense to me. Maybe that is what Lippert developed the pin box they did?

So what should we do, spent $5K on a new pin box and hitch or hop we're not part of the 1.5%?
jswharton is offline   Reply With Quote