Thread: Hard to do
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 06:35 AM   #13
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Waynem was probably counting his socks one at a time, too.

Several years ago, DW and I ventured on a 1 month long National Parks tour using our SUV and we took camping gear, planned stays in cabins and actually planned very few evenings in a motel/hotel. We wanted to travel fast, far and light. We expected to be away mid-september, returning mid-October. We planned as far north as Glacier National Park. Not knowing what to expect, and even though the temperature was 97 outside I packed T-shirts as well as warm clothing. Then I packed our parkas, snow pants, thermals of different thicknesses and DW absolutely freaked. "What the HECK are you packing those for". My reply, "Just in case". I had also packed portable propane heaters for our tent and all the cold weather sleeping bags and gear. In 97 degrees, no less.

You guessed it, within a week of our trip, while in Grand Teton, our first Nat. Park, the weather went south on us. Totally unexpectedly, snow, sleet and daily temperatures averaging 35 and going no higher than 39 during the day, hit us. Overnight temps were way below freezing. I remember seeing 20 degrees outside prior to us retiring into our tent for the eventing. Lots of people, even in RVs headed for home. Even the locals were caught off-guard. I asked them why they weren't wearing warm stuff and they said, "This is not supposed to be happening right now and all our cold weather stuff was stored away for another few weeks". They said since the storm was unexpected they would wait it out. It stayed cold through Yellowstone for a week, Custer National Park, Devil's Tower and half our stay in Glacier National Park another 5-6 days later. After that temps returned to the 80s like nothing ever happened, but we had been prepared.

Now after hearing that, I hope Dick and Toni have no problem planning for the opposite in temps. This is gonna be a cold winter even in the southwest, me thinks. Even where I live the day temps are 50 and the evening temps are approaching freezing, but it won't last long. Pack for the worst and you'll enjoy the best.

Have a safe trip!
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote