View Single Post
Old 08-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #36
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I think that's a huge racket. I had nitrogen in the tires on a truck I bought once, the tire pressure still went up and down.

Then you have to find nitrogen to add if you need it, not so easy to find sometimes.
Not my experience -at all... in fact I would say nitrogen has been a game changer for me.

Short version:
-a fraction of variance in pressure due to sitting or temperature changes
-significantly longer tire life

Long version:
I have now had nitrogen in my last couple pickups for over 8 years, and my last RV for 3 years. My tires go from -40F at home in winter to over 110F in AZ late spring. I add air maybe once per year to my RV and a couple times per year on the truck. (that's about 10,000 miles per year on the RV, and 25,000 on the truck). This past winter, checked tires on the RV at -35F before the trip south, and after sitting for over 3 months in AZ, checked them again. The pressure had increased by about 2lbs, so a few seconds to bleed off and good to go.

Before nitrogen, I checked air every couple weeks and usually had to air up or air down when temps changed more than about 20 degrees one way or the other. Prior RV had E rated tires, and on 80lbs with straight air, could easily see pressures lose 5lbs or more after sitting a few weeks... or increase by 5lbs+ if ambient temps went way up.

I don't have a TPMS on the trailer, and since going to nitrogen have had no flats. And, again, a normal pretrip is to check all tires, then usually needing to do nothing further. I may go to TPMS on the new Montana, but again nitrogen has been good to me without it.

BTW, I top up with 78% nitrogen from my Viair when on the road, don't worry about adding the "special stuff". I know I'm diluting and eventually would lose the value of paying for the initial nitrogen... but again the need to add air is so rare that in 4 years on the truck and 3 on the last RV I haven't observed tire pressure changes varying more than when first installed.

One last thing; last truck I went over 50,000 miles on the factory Firestone tires, towing about 30,000 miles of that. 3 year old RV tires look new. Both are much better results than units before nitrogen.

So, I'm a fan, and will continue to pay the small price to have it done every time I buy new tires.

Of course, I present a sample size of 1, and YMMV ;-)

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote