View Single Post
Old 01-11-2024, 09:31 AM   #8
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondo View Post
We had a 2012 Chevy 3500 with a Duramax and almost day one we had emission problems. It was the first year they came out with the use of DEF and I don't think GM had it together totally. Six months after purchasing the truck we had it in with the warning on the dash of emission problem. They changed sensors and it ran fine for a year or so then back into the dealer again for same problem. This went on for four years. and in 2016 we were down in AZ and it happened again and luckily we were close to a dealer and able to take it in again. This time we weren't so lucky. They had the truck for three or four weeks and still could not find the problem. They finally called the GM engineers and were told to change out the whole exhaust system. That cost us about four grand and yes I tried to fight it but to no avail. I went into my dealer and they tried to get some of my money back also but that didn't work. I was told by the top diesel mechanic at my dealer that to use ONLY Blue DEF. He said they are suppose to be all the same BUT they aren't. They all meet the government standards but the Blue DEF is special and he would not recommend or use anything but it. Anyway, we traded that 2012 for a 2018 with a 7 gallon DEF tank and use only Blue DEF and have had no problems what so ever. So I am sold on it. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!
Def is made by a only few companies and is rebranded for use by many. I use the Rual King $8.50 a container from day one, they sell skid loads of the stuff to bring in the farmers for other items. If there was a problem with the quality of the stuff they wouldn`t be in the business of selling items to the public and farmers. The blue box is all marketing and a play on the "I only use the best in my truck" type of guy and uses a well-designed box to attract people. Def is made to a government standard, that formula can`t be changed, modified, or deviated from in any form or fashion or face massive fines. I`s all the same. I know, I was told by my ......
To each his own.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote