View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 04:47 PM   #6
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I've seen folding soft covers get tore up by something. The solid folding cover would provide more durability.

I have an original 4 section BAKFlip for my 8' bed. Each section is about 24 inches and three sections need to be folded back far enough to clear the hitch and pin. I do wish I only had to fold two back but it covers the hitch head by about 6 inches (hence one more fold). I'd expect that the Extang 3 sections for an 8' bed might provide three section of less than 32 inches each and the third section should clear the hitch and pin.

If you have a short or long bed, you might try calling Extang to get measurement of the sections, then compare it against how much room you need for your towable.

The Extang version looks much stronger than my BAKFlip, but has less sections. The BAKFlip does have the benefit of not having to be removed (it's heavy) when you need the bed and only 2-3 inches is lost to it when it's flipped back against the rear of the cab, but it can be moved with a bit of huffing and puffing (I've done it several times depending on the cargo). The BAKFlip also fits between the bed rails and keeps the tops of the rails available to bed rail hooks and other stuff like that. The disadvantages to the BAKFlip is top surface strength and probably longterm durability. Mine is pretty beat up (6 years old) and I've had to refasten (glue, screws, tape) stuff to maintain it. I'm guessing the Extang would last longer before coming apart. That said, the newer versions of the BAKFlip are supposed to be more durable.

Keep us posted on what you decide and how it's working out for you.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote