Thread: Car crazy
View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 07:01 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
That's scary, Lynwood. I have no idea whether mine would even do 100 mph. Probably it would. But when I bought it I was in the mid-life crisis period and just wanted to enjoy driving it, top down. When I bought it, it was an oil burner. Serious oil burner. Like one quart every 30 miles or so. I replaced the engine with a used one after finding out 1) the engine was not the original, it was an old 265 out of a '55 or '56, and 2) the valve guides were seriously worn, to the point that liners were no longer an option. It was cheaper for me to replace that engine than to try to locate decent heads for the 265. Since the 265 was not available in 1963 for the Impala, I wanted to go with either a 283 or 327. The one I found was a 283 so that's what I had in it, even though it had the 327 flags on the sides. I really enjoyed driving that car.

My very first car was a 1957 Chevy. It was a real lemon and I could not afford the constant maintenance on my high school working after school budget. So I sold it and bought a 1953 Chevy BelAir that threw a rod about 3 months later (probably my fault). I sold that to a junkyard and bought a 1958 Ford with 105,000 miles on it and drove it for two more years.. Still, I'd sure like to have that '57 back now.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote