Thread: Roof sealant
View Single Post
Old 05-01-2023, 11:16 AM   #7
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
I googled "TPO roof and UV damage" and read several articles out of curiosity.
Curious - because I work in commercial construction. TPO membrane roofs are the most common roofs out there these days. I do not work in the roofing industry - we hire roofing companies to install and warrant the roof for (typically) 1 year. I rarely (I should say never!) hear about roofs being replaced due to roof failure from UV damage.

TPO membrane roofs have been around since the early 90's.
The expected life of a TPO roof is 20-30 years.
The most common cause of failure (besides a puncture or tear) is seam adhesive failure due to exposure to UV light. Our RVs do not have a seam. We have a one-piece TPO roof.

As a building roof gets dirty, it does not reflect as much UV light as it did when it was new, and this can expose the seam adhesives to UV light and failure. Seams come apart and leak due to adhesive failure.

Close to ZERO Percent (0%) of commercial building owners wash their roofs, and they still generally get 20-30 years. The manufacturer advises us to wash our RV roofs at least once per year. I plan to wash my roof twice per year.

I have never worked on, or bid on a project that included coating an existing TPO roof with any type of coating, white or other color. On a RV - I suppose a fresh white coat of something the membrane manufacturer said would properly adhere to the membrane and "refresh" the UV reflective characteristics of the roof - a salesman at a RV show might convince me to try it out...but it sounds like a lot of expense and work for a small return. I would probably pass and just wash my roof off, and call it good.

Seems to me that the self-leveling sealant on our RV roofs is much more worthy of attention and inspection than the UV reflectivity of the TPO membrane.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote