Thread: Fuel stops
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 01:49 PM   #9
davemitchell59
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23524
I agree with a previous post that most newer stations have canopies above 14', so that isn't typically a worry. It's the navigation in/out that can get tricky.

I've used the satellite view on Google Maps at times. We've found that most truck stops have pretty good space at their pumps on the car side too. When fueling at a car island, I try to minimize my navigation needs. That usually ends up being the first pump. But, I've also had to back out of one location after fueling when I discovered I didn't have turning options that I was comfortable with.

We've even done a drive-by before and said, "Nope. Not trying that one."

We typically start looking for fuel options up ahead when we drop below 1/2 a tank. At that point we know we have 80-100 miles to 1/4 tank, which is when DW starts getting nervous. It allows us to be more flexible with our fueling options.

We use to always get diesel on the car islands at smaller stations because I wasn't going to pay the truck stop inflated prices. But we don't worry about that any more since we secured a TSD fuel card for RVers that gets us significant discounts at the major truck stops. Now we join the truckers, so no more issues with clearance or navigation.
2017 Montana 3731FL
davemitchell59 is offline   Reply With Quote