View Single Post
Old 11-24-2020, 08:09 AM   #10
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine1962 View Post
My rig will have just the solar flex, not the super. So 1 265 watt panel and I am having
the dealer install 1 battle burn lithium battery. Will get a second a little further down the line. The solar flex supposedly comes with a jabonee mppt charge controller. I guess I need to research it.
I think you are asking the right questions, and there is lots of knowledge on this forum.

Just to make sense of what you have and what else you might research:
-you are correct, your package comes with a Jaboni 30 amp MPPT solar charge controller. But to be clear, this only manages the charging that comes from the solar panel.

-when connected to AC power (or portable generator), the charging will be handled by the built in charger/converter. With the Super Solar Flex package, this charger is optimized for lithium, as Montana is bundling the batteries with that package. However, with your Solar Flex package, the dealer is adding a lithium battery after. The important thing is that the charger you have from the factory is able to be set to lithium, and that the dealer will change the settings correctly.

-not all factory charger/convertors are made equal, and there is some good advice in earlier posts; check which model you have, and whether that is ideal to keep your lithium battery healthy. If your model is one that will not properly support lithium, then you will really want to have that upgraded. Perhaps if this needs to be done, you could negotiate with the dealer to have it upgraded at a discounted price while they are doing the battery install.

One last note; I know that Montana may still advertise that the panel is a 265 watt, but I think all models now have been updated to the 300 watt panels. You could ask the dealer to check your specific unit to make sure.

HtH!

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote