Thread: Adding Airbags
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2020, 02:38 PM   #58
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
It took me a couple days to install my air compressor. It took that long because i wanted it to look nice and have everything tucked up nice I bought a piece of flat metal to mount the pump on. Painted it so it would look nice. I drilled some holes and used riv nuts in the truck to bolt the pump to. Then I had to remove the inner fender on the driver side and find a grommet to run the hoses and wires.It was tricky to find a spot on the dash to mount the gauge. There was one spot on the driver side below the light switch by the driver door handle. After I ran all the air hoses I covered them with wire loom. I used wire ties to help keep them in place. It looks very professional the way I did the install.
I tried the air pump on the first trip and it was a pain in the butt to get the compressor out every 3 days to air up the bags. Ever ride around with 60 pounds of air in the air bags unloaded? After the first 26 places we stopped at the onboard compressor went on the truck.
I tried to air up a tire once with my little compressor and it was stupid. Mine can use 110 volts or 12 volts. It took forever. Now if I have a low tire I just go to a tire shop. There is a reason that a tire is low on air. If you have a low tire it needs more than air. It needs to be fixed. I check them once a week. Never had a problem.
So did you mount the Airlift wired compressor system under the truck? The reason I returned my pump besides the lack of location to mount inside was that pump is not IP rated and Airlift requires it to be mounted in the Cab. Only the wireless is IP rated for damp location and since it is wireless it does not require any dash mounting.

I posted this earlier I think however for those that do not want to deal with a 12v or 110v compressor for airbags this hand held fits under the rear seat in the truck and takes less then 2-3 minutes to grab and fill the bags. I paid $29 for mine (I had a battery already). This should only be used for topping off tires a few psi not to fill flat tires, while it will in a pinch it will take a lot of time. I can do the air bags to 100lbs 2-3 minutes

lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote