Thread: Adding Airbags
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 09:16 PM   #49
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesb View Post
Hey lightsout..... when looking for a place to mount the gauge and switch, if you have a center console that opens up, they mount in there really nice and outta the way. On Cheverolet’s, the very bottom of the console already has holes going out the bottom to run the airlines. But you don’t have a signature at the bottom, so I didn’t know what kind you drove.
I have a new Ram 3500 with the 13" screen so no room on the dash. The Console is huge however on the front there is a place for your phone with built in wireless charging so that area is used up, the console has a sliding tray with a moving divider so the side wall of the console is out. The back inside wall of the console was a possible option but would have been a major dismantle of the console. I simply did not want to install the pump switch and gauge where if I ever had a leak it would have been a night mare to replace the lines.

Keep in mind the wired compressor is not water proof so it has to be installed in the cab. I was thinking I could install the compressor behind the seats however in 2019 Ram 3500 Crew Cab I have the heated and cooled rear seats option and the seat back to not fold down, you have to remove the seats to access that back wall so that eliminated the pump going there. As you can see it was becoming very complicated where to install the components. Seems these days they are using every nook and cranny for factory features leaving NO ROOM for aftermarket.

I could have went the wireless air system with the exterior rated pump but they cost nearly as much as the Bags. I can always add that later if filling and deflating is an issue. So Far. I fill when I load and deflate when I unhook total 3-5 minutes I have no need to adjust going down the road. I have other things I would rater spend the $400 on... PLus if the wireless system fails you are SOL at least with the manual fill system other than a leak (which is also a problems with the auto system) I can manage by bags.

I have a Ryobi Hand Held battery powered air pump so I can jump out and increase or decrease air pressure in 1-3 minutes anyway.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote