Thread: Adding Airbags
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2020, 10:09 AM   #46
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsb5717 View Post
As always, people have varying needs or reasons for the choices they make. I bought my truck used and it came with the AirLift bags installed. I ended up adding the onboard pump. I found that there were times, depending on road conditions that I wanted to change the pressure a bit. I also need to adjust up to 80psi just to get in or out of my home parking spot to avoid dragging the landing gear. When leaving I can now pump it up to 80 and then release it down to our travel PSI of 30 without stopping.
I agree for some the onboard pump makes life easier. As I mentioned I ordered the Pump with my Airlift Bags from Amazon, after about 2 hours of trying to figure out where I could route and locate the pump and switch I decided to pass on it as the new trucks just do not leave any room for such a large pump control switch module and gauge and the routing from the cab back wold have required a lot of interior dismantling to make it fit then look right.

Then after installing my Bags (without the pump) I had an air leak in one of the airbag hose connections, fortunately I called Airlift and they quickly sent all new airlines and fittings (great customer service).

Replacing the single air line was easy and took about 20 minutes, however had I needed to replace the air-line with the pump installed I would have had to replace all airlines and it would have been a major job. The biggest complaint I have heard about airbags is the lines leaking air since the airlines are connected by push-in (non screw) fittings.

So for us not being full timers the pump not a big deal, if we were full timing moving often then the pump is a great addition.

I also see the advantage for those needing multiple adjustments on the fly.
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote