View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 07:44 PM   #75
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
When we decided to move from tent camping to something off the ground, we towed with a Chevy Lumina Mini Van, then a Suburban 1500, then a 1 ton dualy long bed gasser
Chevy Silverado, then the second 1 ton dually long bed gasser Chevy Silverado, and then finally our current truck, a 1 ton dually long bed diesel.

Why such big truck when we could have towed with something less? Because we did not know where we would end up. Getting the heftier, all inclusive tow vehicle meant we'd never have to worry about any kind of weights. Until we purchased our current 5er, we were way overkill. But when we got the 5er, we were all set and didn't have to buy a new heftier vehicle. We already had it.

My suggestion, get the biggest right now. You just never know where your future will take you.

About the ride? I've never towed with a 3/4 or a short bed. I do know, all 3 dualies and long beds I've owned always provided a very stable and comfortable tow. I never had a white knuckle experience as the brakes of the truck were more than adequate to stop both truck and trailer in the event of brake failure in the trailer (which actually happened to one of our travel trailers). The brakes of the dually were so good, I didn't even know I forgot to plug in the 7 pin connector until someone flagged me down, got me to pull over, and told me I had no tail lights in the trailer (Oh, Duh ... I missed plugging in the umbilical cord into the truck).

On another occasion, the brakes quit working completely. Long story short, there was a bare spot on one of the brake wires that was touching the axle causing it to fail intermittently as the wire flopped around. (3 trips to the repair shop and they finally found the culprit). But the thing is, the truck was stout enough to successfully and without any stress, stop the trailer at a 60 mph speed and I could not tell the difference.

That is something you might want to think about? And actually, my current 5er was no problem with no brakes when .. um .. "confession time...?" about 6 weeks after I got the 5er, I forgot to plug in the umbilical cord and it drug on the ground and ground it down to almost nothing. Truck stopped the trailer just fine, and I was able to replace the cord with a new one. (DUH! .. oh DUH!)
DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote