View Single Post
Old 02-12-2020, 06:18 PM   #73
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by wecker1 View Post
While I typically drive what I consider to be a conservative speed, 65-70mph, would love to hear comments on this, I experienced a situation where I crested a hill and was faced with traffic at a complete standstill at about 100yds. Needless to say this got my full attention as well as my DW, different story, but without the dually braking and overall weight handling capacity not sure the results would have been the same. We braked safely without issue. While Duallies definitely present a parking problem when used for around town travel, figure it out. Park further away, less door dings. more exercise, win-win.
I have made this argument more than once. Six tires will brake faster than 4 under load. It's just common sense, more rubber in contact with the road=more braking power. There may be some argument for the hydroplaning effect when empty on wet pavement but you should be driving slower under wet conditions anyway.

Likewise a wider stance is inherently more stable. Its not rocket science, a dually is simply a safer tow platform. It might not be the perfect fit for everyone's needs but it is the right tool for the job.

Over the years, I have had my fair share of experiences with unexpected emergency stops. I can say without any doubt in my mind there are some situations where the dually made all the difference in the world.
2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
mtlakejim is offline   Reply With Quote