Thread: Adding Airbags
View Single Post
Old 02-01-2020, 12:12 PM   #42
lightsout
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24938
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
When i went on my first i went to 26 places. So you air up than get to your first camp ground and air down to drive around. Then you hook up again and air up. Then you get to the next spot and do it all over again. If you just camp and head to the lake and never air down to drive around than your air compressor is fine. If you travel like some of us do than that thing you got is a pain. Another thing is that compressor will not be of much use to air up a tire. Just look at how small the piston in there is. Then how many puffs of air do you think it will take to air up a tire. The higher the pressure the smaller the puffs of air is. I have tried to air up a tire and it took forever. Not to mention how mad it makes the guy camping next to you to listen to that thing pump air. In a emergency this may be ok I still carry my air compressor but its still under the seat. Mine has a 12 volt and a 110 volt cords.
First off you would be a fool to try and air up a flat tire with any hand held, pump however in a jam it will work just takes time. Regardless, what are the odds you would ever be in the position to fully air up a tire (you would swap for the spare and have tire shop do the repair), the Ryobi Hand held is designed to be used to maintain tire pressure so when you check your tires before you pull out and need some air this thing is fast and easy the Alirlift on board air system is only a dedicated pump which actually is not any bigger then the Ryobi pump mechanism. I keep the Ryobi in the front battery compartment of the 5er as my air bag fill is in the rear bumper. it takes no time to grab the pump and less than 1 minute I have filled my air bags. I do not care how often you air your bags up or down it is effortless.

I also have a Vi-air pump but that would be for big jobs only, I will likely remove it this year as they are heavy and every bit of weight loss is helpful. Besides I also have roadside tire service.

I also have a small air blower attachment where I can also use the Ryobi for small cleaning task. Then we use it to fill the Floaty's at the lake. We also have a Aquaglide Kayak and two Costco SUP's which are all inflatable while I do not use it for the initial fill I use it every few days to add a little air. We also use it to maintain and adjust the tires on our Ebikes. Turns out this little hand pump is used probably more than any other tool we carry...

I just cannot see the need for a built in pump that only services the bags especially since the bags are not used that often, maybe if I was a full timer but still I can take 1 minute of the day to fill and deflate my bags. Also if I was doing a lot of moving like daily I would not likely deflate for just a day or two.

When I ordered the Airlift 7500 bags for my new Ram 3500 (I just installed them 3 weeks ago) I did also order the Airlift pump for an additional $120 however after looking at the head unit and the room it required and what it would have taken to install and make it look like it belonged I returned it to Amazon as the Ryobi did the job just fine along with so many other uses around the RV... Note the Airlift pump install part is easy it is all the disimanteling of the dash and or console then find an open place to put the head unit as well as concealing the air lines in the cab.

Keep in mind on the airbags the bladders are very small say you pump to 30psi-80psi only takes a few seconds same for deflating.

Plus if you get an air leak with the Airlift pump you pretty much have to replace all the lines (all the way into the truck cab) since they are interconnected.

When i installed the 7500 Airbags I had one air line that leaked (at a fitting) and it only took a few minutes to replace. Had that been the pump system lines it would have been hours and a lot of interior tear down and I would have had to replace all lines and fittings.

By the way it will top off my 110psi tires with ease. Just used it two days ago on our friends Class A all tires were 15psi-5psi low it worked like a champ to air up those 6 huge tires to 110psi...
lightsout is offline   Reply With Quote